Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hopeless Reviewed


"Sometimes you have to choose between a bunch of wrong choices and no right ones.
You just have to choose which wrong
choice feels the least wrong." 
~Colleen Hoover, Hopeless

This review will not be one of my typical reviews because this is not your typical book. Hopeless is a book that has left in its wake a myriad of emotions within me that I have a hard time describing. I did a brief review of Hopeless on Amazon and I did an e-book giveaway here on my blog in celebration of its release and gave it high praise. But it has taken me some time to decide how I wanted to officially review this book on my blog. Forgive me for taking the serious route for a moment but I feel it's necessary for several reasons.

The issue that's addressed in this book affects thousands of our children every day. It is a delicate subject but it needs to be talked about, brought to the surface and should no longer be a dirty secret. I feel that it was very brave of the author to take on such heavy subject matter and she did it with respect and class.

Hopeless isn't just a love story it's a life story...


 
Sky is a resilient girl who has survived a difficult past but she comes through shining. Sky's character is such a wonderful role model for young girls that have been through similar situations. Colleen Hoover developed a character within Sky that has great depth. You laugh with her, you hurt with her, you love with her then by the time you finish the last page you stand tall beside her. Sky is my new book hero!

Quotes from Sky:
“And while I could sit here and feel sorry for myself, wondering why all of this happened to me..I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to wish for a perfect life. The things that knock you down in life are tests, forcing you to make a choice between giving in and remaining on the ground or wiping the dirt off and standing up even taller than you did before you were knocked down. I'm choosing to stand taller. I'll probably get kicked down a few more times before this life is through with me, but I can guarantee you I'll never stay on the ground.” 

“Not everything is going to go my way and not everyone gets a happily ever after. Life is real and sometimes it’s ugly and you just have to learn how to cope.” 

“This isn’t me saying yes, Holder. This is me saying please.”

Six and Breckin bring the pages to life and fill your heart with laughter and they make you wish you had a window hopper and Mormon for best friends! The depth of their friendships with Sky was warm hearted and laugh out loud funny at times. Six and Breckin are my new favorite book sidekicks!

Quote from Breckin:
“Breckin shrugs. “I’m new here. And if you haven’t deducted from my impeccable fashion sense, I think it’s safe to say that I’m…” he leans forward and cups his hand to his mouth in secrecy. “Mormon,” he whispers.” 

Karen...this woman is in close competition with Julia from Slammed for my most favorite book mom ever. That.Is.All. I will say about her. Read for yourself. You'll see what I mean. She is the most selfless amazing parental character I've read in a long time. Love her <3

Dean Holder... Just typing the name gives me goose bumps. This character came along in this book like a tornado and scrambled up my insides like an egg beater. Colleen Hoover has written a main male character that embodies the kind of guy every girl/woman wants in their life. The love he has for Sky is boundless. He is strong willed, stubborn, beautiful on the inside and out and he loves her in a way that will grip onto your heart strings and never let them go. You can literally feel how this guy feels as you read every single word. Almost as if it were his POV. The writing is that good. Even though we are hearing it from Sky's POV you always know how Holder is feeling. Some would say Holder was the savior in the story but I disagree. He was very important in helping Sky navigate hard times but I think Sky saved him just as much as he saved her.
 
They saved each other...

Quotes from Holder:
“Just because you blocked the memory of me out of your mind doesn't mean you blocked the memory of me out of your heart.”

“F#%k all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers.” 

“The moment my lips touch yours, it will be your first kiss. Because if you've never felt anything when someone's kissed you, then no one's ever really kissed you. Not the way I
plan on kissing you.” 

Not all books can be unicorns and rainbows. I personally don't even want them to be. I love a story that can jumble me all up inside, make me think and set off every emotion possible.
Hopeless did that for me.

Colleen Hoover wrote about an extremely difficult subject but treated it with immense respect and delicacy that equaled a meaningful experience for the reader whether this thing has
touched their life or not.

I think the lesson that I came away with after reading this story was, you can't let your past steal your future. We need to write our own story and live it to the fullest even if you have to take a chapter break from time to time!
 
Hopeless Cover Design By: Okay Creations
Hopeless Formatting By: JT Formatting 





No comments:

Post a Comment