Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Sweet Gum Tree Reviewed

“To my surprise, Nick reached under his shirt and pulled out the half-heart pendant. With his gaze fixed on mine, he slid the chain over my head. “No one should have to go through life with only half a heart,” he whispered.”

For my 2nd review I chose The Sweet Gum Tree By Katherine Allred.  This book was a book selection for my book club a few months back and it is a book that has stuck with me.  Sometimes you read a book and after some time goes by it is but a distant memory and sometimes you can't remember the names of the characters or even how it ended.  They are just a blip on your book radar.  The Sweet Gum Tree was certainly not one of those books for me.

This story follows Alix and Nick who as young children formed an unbreakable bond. You watch them grow, fall in love and learn through heartache, pain, love and loss.  The character development and storyline were great and the descriptions of the south were painted beautifully by the author's words.

What I loved most about this story is how it spanned over 26 years of their life and I never felt like I missed anything. When Alix and Nick are forced apart the feeling of loss was palpable and the "event" in this book that really brought me to my knees was so very unexpected. You will definitely need a box of tissues for this read.  There were some sexual situations in this book but they did not overshadow the storyline and they written very tastefully.

These characters stuck with me. Nick was someone I fell in love with and Alix made me feel her pain. If you love a great romance novel then you will love this book. It reminded me of a really good Nicholas Sparks novel.  If I had to say anything negative about this book it would be that the cover really does not do the book justice. I guess that is why they say "Never judge a book by it's cover."

No comments:

Post a Comment