Friday, November 2, 2012

My Book Love Affair...Slammed Review

If you are an avid reader like myself you know that there are some books that once you read the last page regardless of the story being over in print it continues on in your mind, you heart and your soul for days, weeks, months or infinitely. These books are far and few between and in my opinion rare. When I find one I can't be nothing but in awe of the author and thankful for the beautiful story that they gifted to us the reader.

I remember the very first book that did this to me at a very young age as an elementary student.  Dear Mr. Henshaw was the book and to this day I remember it even after all of these years.  As an adult a book "love affair" did not happen for me until I read Eat Pray Love By Elizabeth Gilbert and then again when I read Nights In Rodanthe By Nicholas Sparks. Now do not get me wrong I have read and loved MANY other books. For example I loved the Twilight Series and I really liked Fifty Shades of Grey.  But a mere few books do I have a "love affair" with. So on to my point after all of that rambling....
“Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passion. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed
“If I were a carpenter, I would build you a window to my soul. But I would leave that window shut and locked, so that every time you tried to look through it all you would see is your own reflection. You would see that my soul is a reflection of you.”
Colleen Hoover, Point of Retreat
 
SLAMMED and POINT OF RETREAT BY COLLEEN HOOVER are my latest and greatest book "love affair"!  Yes, I am obsessed and I am guilty of acting like a teenage fan girl on many occasions when it comes to these books and this author. I am not going to give a synopsis because you can read that on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I hate reviews that give a synopsis. I like to know what the reader felt while reading a book, why they loved it or why they hated it. So that is how my review will go...

From Chapter 1 all the way to the last words of the 2nd book I was sucked into a brilliantly written story about love, life, heartbreak, loss, family and sacrifice.  I laughed like crazy, I cried big crocodile tears and I swooned all the while falling in love with the characters and their individual stories. This is a book that is written so well that you can see it in your mind just like a movie as you read it. This is a book that makes you think, it makes you question, it makes you second guess and it makes you feel. When a book can evoke such a wide range of emotions like this story does it is rare and it is a gift. The attention to detail is amazing and the poetry......oh my THE POETRY...did I mention THE POETRY....OK so I did mention THE POETRY. In this book the poetry is like a stone thrown into water causing a beautiful ripple effect. The poetry brings out the emotion, the love, the pain, the anger, the unspoken and the fear. The poetry gives the characters a voice that they didn't know they had. Mrs. Hoover was brilliant with each poem and I loved how well they fit in the story like a jigsaw puzzle with the characters and their feelings. I had never heard of slam poetry before these books and I am now very intrigued and moved by it.

I could write for days about why you should read these books or why I love the story. But in short all I will say is that if you want a book about love of self, love of family, love between a boy and a girl that will bring a smile to your face, a tear to your eye and touch your heart then read Slammed and Point of Retreat By Colleen Hoover. You will be happy you did! Click >>>HERE<<< to get it in paperback or >>>HERE<<< to get the ebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment